Minutes | CASI meeting Jan. 24, 2014 | 10 - 11:30 a.m.
Present: Meier, Weigold, Pluymers, Koethe, Shear, Coulter (recorder and chair)
Absent: Kempinen, Minter, Taeuber, Weston, Moritz
- Minutes from Nov. 6, 2013 approved.
Website, Communication & Outreach (Karen) – Karen has made CASI a searchable link off the Faculty and Staff Resources page.
Recognition and Retention (Ursula) – Leslie has offered to host the next bagels in the building (possibly the 4th floor hallway). Ursula and the subcommittee will arrange a date and the bagels.Personnel, Policies and Procedures (Bethany) –
- Subcommittee – Bethany has agreed to serve as ex-officio reporter for this subcommittee. Leslie will continue to chair the subcommittee.
- Promotions – For the purposes of promotions, there are 2 academic staff groups in the law school. The first are non-clinical academic staff: HR notifies the supervisor when a staff member is eligible for promotion.The second are clinical academic staff. HR also notifies the supervisor when they are eligible for promotion but additional paperwork needs to be filed for that process by October 1.In both cases, supervisors work with our HR dept. to process necessary paperwork for the promotion. Leslie suggested a template be created so eligible clinical academic staff know what steps are needed to achieve promotion.The Personnel, Policies and Procedures subcommittee will work with Bethany to develop the template.
- Remington Center Director PVL – discussions are being held regarding this. Posting (Clinical Professor) should be by Feb. 1.CCF – Recommendations were made and those approved are in the process of being notified and entered into the system.
HR Design (Bethany) – there is still hope that it will be approved in 2015. If it’s not approved then, it’s likely never to be.
- Old Business
Rotation of members -Vicky will stay on one more year as chair. Leslie will be a 3rd year member and so will be done after this year.Results of survey of academic staff for CASI discussion suggestions (Vicky). Results available on request.
- New Business
- Security for computers and data – Nick from DoIt came and gave a presentation on phishing and how to protect yourself from viruses. He will do an 8 minute presentation at a later faculty meeting.
- Conversion to MS 365 – Gief has been sending email updates.
- Annual reviews – a template has been distributed to supervisors from HR. Bethany recommends supervisors use that form (or another one if that works better). Whatever is used needs to be consistent throughout the dept.
- New employee handbook-(VC working with Justin on this).
- Start a faculty movie or book club. The library has many law related DVDs available at the Circ desk. Suggestion was made to have a Friday afternoon movie shown.
- Virtual tour of people in the building and what they do – this was deemed to be very expensive to produce.
- Standardize employee orientation for all – Vicky working on this.
- Bring Supervisor Training to UW Law School – Personnel, Policies and Procedures subcommittee will pursue this. Possible topics of discussion: the promotion process, performance reviews, professional development, both on and off campus, campus resource sharing and best supervising practices (i.e. 10 things all supervisors should do or 20 things great bosses know or practices for effective management).
- More popcorn machines. Lubar?
- New employee coffee or lunch program – CASI members could take turns taking new employees for coffee or to lunch with a group of co-workers. Bethany and Justin will notify CASI of new academic staff hires in order to do so.
- Appreciation day for different groups
- Pot luck club
- Improve the Sidebar – limited by space constrictions.
- Tea at 3
- Law school scavenger hunt with each team playing for charity.
- 3rd year: Meier, Minter, Shear
- 2nd year: Coulter, Koethe, Weigold
- 1st year: Kempinen, Taeuber, Weston
Next meeting: March 28, 2014 at 10am
CASI Meeting November 6, 2013
Virginia Meier, Bethany Pluymers, Ursula Weigold, Deb Moritz, Scott Minter, Leslie Shear, Vicky Coulter (note taker)
- Approval of the Minutes from the March 22, 2013 Meeting
Approved: Unanimous voice vote
- New Academic Staff Assembly rep
Deb Moritz has been on the Academic Staff Assembly and comes to CASI meetings to report. We will need a new ASA rep as of next September. It’s preferable if someone on CASI would also be the ASA rep and a request has gone out to gauge interest. If no one is interested, a request will go out to the rest of the academic staff. ASA meets the 2nd Monday of the month from 3:30 to 4:30.
New subcommittees were formed from the new CASI membership. Those absent were assigned to a subcommittee. The subcommittees are:
- Website, Communications and Outreach
Karen Koethe (Chair), Scott Minter, Leslie Shear, Ursula Weigold
- HR Design Project
Bethany Pluymers (Chair), Vicky Coulter, Virginia Meier
- Recognition and Retention
Ursula Weigold (Chair), Deb Moritz, Ben Kempinen
- Personnel, Policies and Procedures
Leslie Shear (Chair), Stacy Taeuber, Cheryl Weston, Vicky Coulter
- Rotation of members
Tenure was decided as follows for the 3 year CASI term. Those in their 3rd year would be the next to be replaced.
3rd year: Vicky Coulter, Virginia Meier, Scott Minter
2nd year: Karen Koethe, Leslie Shear, Ursula Weigold
1st year: Ben Kempinen, Stacy Taeuber, Cheryl Weston
- Amend By-laws: Appointment
CASI members will be appointed by the law school each fall. The law school will replace members based on the 3 year CASI tenure.
- Survey of academic staff for concerns/topics of interest
Vicky will send an email to the CASI.list (after she gets it updated) inviting academic staff to submit topics they would like CASI to discuss.
- Critical Compensation Fund
Monies are available again this year for a similar Critical Compensation Fund process as was done last year. Guidelines have not been sent out yet but are forthcoming.
- Performance evaluations
Bethany asked for input on a Performance Review she and Justin developed. Suggestions were made for her to take back to her people.
- Upcoming events
Bethany encouraged people to attend one of several HR Design updates coming up in November. (Nov.13, 19 and 21)
Bethany encouraged people to attend the Dean’s summit on Nov. 8, 2013.
CASI Meeting March 22, 2013
Sarah Davis, Aviva Kaiser, Karen Koethe, Virginia Meier, Mitch, Bethany Pluymers, Ursula Weigold
Vicky Coulter, Scott Minter, Margaret Raymond, Leslie Shear
- Approval of the Minutes from the November 20, 2012 Meeting
Moved: Virginia Meier
Approved: Unanimous voice vote
- Bagels Around the Building Series
Mitch and Sarah will plan the next event. Ursula has graciously offered to host it.
- Overview of the HR Design Project
Bethany reported that the plan (skeletal structure) was approved and that on July 1, all classified staff will become university staff.
Exempt university staff will have the option to become academic staff.
New title series will be developed. Recruitment and selection criteria will be developed.
- “Onboarding and Mentorship Program”
Mitch asked if the “onboarding and mentorship program” has been developed. Justin filled in for Lee while she was on maternity leave, and is now starting to work on the program. Bethany, Karen, and the Recognition and Retention Subcommittee will meet to work on the program.
- Performance Evaluation Tool
Evaluation/review forms used by the library, legal research and writing, and Bethany (in a past life) were distributed.
We will discuss performance evaluation tools during our next meeting.
- Community Training on the Many Aspects of Hiring
Bethany has asked us to send her suggestions for topics that should be included in community training such as writing job descriptions, screening, and keeping files.
- Amend By-laws: Election
The Committee decided that it would “stay” the election for one year to get some of the projects “off the ground.”
Section 2 Membership of the bylaws would be amended to read:
2. Terms: .... To initiate the process, terms of board members that begin in September
20122013 will expire at one, two and three-year intervals. ….