Estate Planning Concentration Requirements*
I. Four core courses:
- Trusts and Estates I and II (771)**
- Introduction to Estate Planning (957)
- Law and the Elderly (773)
- Estate and Trust Administration and Dispute Resolution (771)***
II. One of the following tax courses:
- Taxation I: Federal Income Taxation (742) or
- Taxation Concepts for Business and Personal Planning (AIS 329 in Business School) or
- Taxation of Trusts and Estates (844) ****
III. Three additional courses:
- Financial Planning and Asset Management (771)
and two electives from this group:
- Business Organizations I (817)
- Real Estate Transactions I (732)
- Client Interviewing & Counseling (880)
- Family Law I (822)
- Center for Patient Partnerships Clinical
- Estate and Business Planning for the Closely Held Enterprise (771)****
- Taxation of Trusts and Estates (844) (if not used to satisfy part II above.)****
- Uses of Trusts in Estate Planning (772)****
IV. Other recommended substantive and skills courses:
- Advanced Legal Writing: Problem Solving (808)
- Clinical Programs
- Law and People with Disabilities (940)
- Lawyering Skills (950)
- Taxation II: Entity Taxation (840)
- Electives not chosen under part III above
To qualify for the concentration, a student must receive a grade of at least B in Trusts and Estates I and II and must have an average grade of at least 3.0 in the courses used to satisfy the requirements.
A student who achieves a 3.5 average in courses used to fulfill the requirements will receive Honors in the Concentration.
*Under some circumstances, substitutions in these requirements can be made. Contact Professor Erlanger.
** The Trusts and Estates II requirement may be satisfied by taking Introduction to Federal Estate and Gift Tax (771) and Introduction to Marital Property (771). Transfer students may need additional coursework to satisfy the requirements of Trusts and Estates II (771), which includes community property and tax components.
***Estate and Trust Administration is only offered in the spring semester of odd numbered years.
****These courses are not regularly offered.
Questions regarding the above Concentration requirements should be sent to Professor Howard Erlanger at email@example.com.