Literacy Network Board of Directors Liaison Internship
Literacy Network teaches reading, writing and speaking skills to Dane County adults and families so they can achieve financial independence, good health and greater involvement in community life. Literacy Network is a non-profit organization and was founded in 1974. We have been a United Way agency since 1979.
Our Vision: Every person in Dane County will have the literacy skills needed to independently pursue their life goals, support their family and be active in their community.
In 2009, we helped more than 1,000 learners reach their literacy goals through 32,783 hours of individualized instruction. This was made possible by nearly 20,000 hours of instruction provided by more than 500 volunteer tutors. Many behind-the-scenes volunteers keep our office running by updating databases, answering phones, assembling training materials, organizing the resource library, and much more.
The Board of Directors Liaison will be responsible for the following tasks:
· Attend all board meetings during the term of internship (September 2011 – May 2012). The board meets on the third Thursday of every month at 5:30 pm.
· Ensure that board members are informed and engaged in actions related to the organization’s strategic initiatives.
· Follow up on action items with the Board of Directors, committee members and Executive Director.
· Assist committee chairs in organizing committee meetings.
· Identify growth opportunities for committees such as new partnerships, funding opportunities and outreach efforts.
· Support actions among board members to effectively address issues and concerns.
· Provide a channel for communication among Board and committee members
· Obtain from the committee chair a list of proposed activities for the coming year.
· Coordinate communication among committee members, Board and Literacy Network staff.
· Report back to committees promptly via telephone or email regarding the discussion and any action taken by the Board.
· Reduce duplication of effort among committees by suggesting coordination.
· Provide administrative support to the Board of Directors and Executive Director.
· Maintain and organize documents for the Board of Directors.
· Maintain the Board’s calendar of meetings and events.
· Prepare committee documents.
· Coordinate technical needs.
· Develop presentation materials (handouts and PowerPoint).
· Record meeting minutes and other administrative duties as required.
· To apply for this internship, submit a resume and cover letter by 5:00 pm on September 5, 2011 to Executive Director Jeff Burkhart via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jeff Burkhart | Executive Director
Literacy Network of Dane County
1118 S Park St |Madison WI 53715
o: 608.244.3911| f: 608.244.3899
w: www.litnetwork.org | e: email@example.com
Submitted by Marsha Mansfield on August 15, 2011
This article appears in the categories: Student Organizations