Connecting to the lab printer only works from Mac OS X.2 or higher. These instructions are specific to Mac OS X.2 and X.3.
- Go to your Applications window
- Double-click on the Utilities folder
- Double-click on Print Center
- While holding down the OPTION key, click once on Add. Your computer will
pause while it builds a list of printer options.
NOTE: If you do not hold down the OPTION key while clicking Add, you will not have the Advanced options available, which you need to be able to follow the rest of the directions!
- Set the settings so they look exactly like the options below:
Set the top drop down to Advanced
Device: set to Internet Printing Protocal (http)
Device Name: law
Device URI: http://printq.law.wisc.edu:631/printers/law_lab
Set Printer model to HP, and then for the COMPUTER LAB select HP Laserjet 5M from the printer list, other printers should see NOTES below.
NOTE: The :631 is very important in the Device URL -- make sure you have the url exactly as above (or below in the image).
NOTE: LAIP should use the url http://printq.law.wisc.edu:631/printers/law_laip and use the 5M driver as pictured below
NOTE: EJI should use the url http://printq.law.wisc.edu:631/printers/law_2221 further the LaserJet 4 series driver should be used ie ("HP LaserJet 4 series - Gimp-Print v5.0.0-beta2") NOT the 5M driver.
NOTE: Lawyering Skills should use the url http://printq.law.wisc.edu:631/printers/law_ls and use the 5M driver as pictured below
- This printer will work anytime that you are connected on the Law School Network or from home (or elsewhere) by using the DoIT VPN service.