How does the Domestic Violence Immigration Clinic work?
Come to our office hours at the Villager Mall or call us to schedule an appointment.
DVIC students conduct an in-person intake interview. Bring all relevant documentation, including:
- Documents related to your immigration status (i.e. previous visas, letters from immigration)
- Police reports documenting the abuse or crime of which you have been a victim
- Your passport or copy
- Other letters and forms you've received
What is a VAWA self-petition?
- A VAWA self-petition is a petition filed under the Violence Against Women Act
- Allows a man or woman married to a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident to file for citizenship independent of their spouse
- To be eligible for a VAWA self-petition, you must have suffered abuse at the hands of your U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident spouse
- In some cases, this petition may still be filed after divorce
Issues DVIC cannot help with:
- Immigration problems unrelated to a U-visa or VAWA petition
- Criminal law
- Family law issues, including child custody or placement
- Deportation proceedings
DVIC does not charge for its legal services. However, clients are generally expected to pay any court costs such as filing and service fees.