Third year law students are invited to join in the cane toss tradition during the UW Homecoming festivities. The festivities begin at 8 a.m. on Saturday, October 25, 2014 with a breakfast in the atrium of the Law School. Dean Raymond will then lead third year students to the north end zone of the stadium. Before kick off, students will run across the field and toss their canes over the goalposts. As the custom goes, if the student catches the cane as it comes down on the other side, their first case will be a victory. If they drop the cane, they will lose the case. Read more about the history of the cane toss tradition.
Dean Margaret Raymond provides a discount to students attending the breakfast and football game.
Family members are also welcome to attend, but must have a ticket to enter the stadium. For information on registering for the cane toss events, please contact Kimberly Raether.
Game Day Information
Important information for 3L's participating in the cane toss is below. Please read this information carefully.
Game Day Instructions:
1. Only GRADUATING LAW STUDENTS are allowed on the field to participate in the cane toss. Students MUST be wearing the CANE TOSS FIELD ACCESS BUTTON they received with their order to get onto the field. NO friends or family members are allowed on the field. Additionally, at no time are children or anyone under the age of 18 allowed on the field during Badger football games. Students who disobey the above rules will be removed from the stadium and will not be allowed back in.
2. Students may pick up their tickets, cane toss field access buttons, canes, and hats beginning at 8:00 a.m. in the atrium of the Law School. Students must have their payment vouchers with them in order to confirm payment and pick up their tickets.
3. The tailgate will begin at 8:00 a.m. in the atrium.
4. Students using their own student ticket must leave for the stadium at 10:10 a.m., enter through the student gate, and make their way over to Section L by Gate 4 to meet the rest of the group.
5. Dean Raymond will lead all law students from the Law School to Camp Randall for the cane toss. We will leave the Law School at 10:00 a.m. SHARP in order to make it to the stadium and into Section L by the north end zone before the band.
6. Students not attending the breakfast should meet at the Law School at 10:00 a.m. to walk to the stadium with the rest of the group. Special accommodations have been made for our group to enter through Gate 4. Those preferring not to walk with the group must make it to Gate 4 and into Section L by the north end zone by 10:15 a.m. in order to run with the rest of the group.
7. The UW Law School and the University of Wisconsin are not responsible for any items lost or stolen during the cane toss.
8. Guests wanting to observe the cane toss should be in their seats no later than 10:15 a.m.
Participants should review Camp Randall’s carry-in policy prior to the cane toss. It is also recommended that students not carry anything with them onto the field that they do not want to lose during the run across the field.